• About

About the farm


Willemsrivier is 4 km from Nieuwoudtville with only 2 km gravel road. Capetonians drive the N7 past Piketberg, Klawer, and turn right at Vanrhynsdorp. Continue till you get to Nieuwoudtville. Take the first road left at Grasberg. The farm is the first one on the left. from Upington you drive through Kenhardt, Brandvlei, Calvinia and the Nieuwoudtville, Here you turn right to Loeriesfontein. Take the first road left at Grasberg - its a gravel road. Willemrivier is the first farm of the left. Coordinates -31.346707, 19.088976


Willemsrivier lies on the Bokveld escarpment (950 meter above sea level), Nieuwoudtville is known for its unique vegetation and different soils, with the biggest variety of indigenous bulbous plants in the world. This is a winter rain climate with temperature freezing cold in winter and very hot during summer. The best times to visit is during autumn, winter and spring. Flowers are seasonal: April (Brunsvigias), May (Quiver trees in bloom), August, September (spring flowers) with bulbs in October.

On the Farm

Historic buildings include: Braaiplek, Boeta Paul, Ouma Miemie, Blomhuis, Peperboom, Gletser and Joodse Winkel. All of those has been renovated and offer accommodation. Die Opstal has been recently renovated. Future renovations will be Langhuis 1, Langhuis 2 and Waenhuis. Historic buildings to view include: Old church, old school, old jail and Smuts/Maritz office. A must to visit is the old graves, the “trapvloer” as well as the fountain and the old tractors. As it is a working sheep farm, sheep shearing during spring (August) and in the autumn is very exciting as well as seeing the dogs in action getting the sheep together. At Gletser is a glacier pavement.

History of Willemsrivier

Willemsrivier dates back to 1745 with old historic buildings in two rows creating a broad main road build on the traditional “vierkant” close to a perennial fountain that provides water to the farm. The Kotze’s has occupied the farm since 1832.

The oldest buildings include: Smuts/Maritz office, old school, old jail as well as a longhouse. More buildings include Joodse Winkel as well as the McGregor house.
There is also an old “hulp” church dating 1875. The “trapvloer” is also an interesting site.
There is also a very old grave yard.

During the Anglo Boer war (1899-1902) generals Smuts and Manie Maritz stayed in the same house on Willemrivier - the Smuts/Maritz Kantoor. Because they didn't get along, they never stayed there at the same time.


Originally the farm was called “Kliprivier”, named after the river that flows here. Several historical building can be found here. Historic buildings to view include: Old church, old school, old jail and Smuts/Maritz Kantoor.


We sort and wash all plastic, tin and glass. Only dry and clean products. We wash and dry the products before we place it in the recycling containers. Thereafter it is transported to the Vredendal depot. This process is very important for a clean and safe environment. We give old edible kitchen waste to the farm animals opposite Opstal. We want our guests to follow the same process. We do this to protect and preserve the earth for the next generations. Theunis is the eighth generation on Willemsrivier.

Guest Reviews